“There Is A Ladder” : Reaching for the Unknown
An Exhibition of the Early Stages of Original Creative Works
“There is A Ladder” : Reaching for the Unknown October 6 though December 15, 2017
The Anderson Center for Interdisciplinary Studies, RED WING, MN
Delving into the unknown is an aspect of original creative work in a wide array of disciplines, including the sciences. To dispel the prevalent impression that inventions and art arise fully formed, this exhibition reveals and honors the creative scribbles, and leaps of faith of 17 local and international, award-winning luminaries.
I collected this unusual array of sketchbooks, manuscripts, palettes, and artifacts of original important creative projects and inventions in their formative stages, to demonstrate VISION.
The exhibition spans ten disciplines ~ visual art, architecture, archeology, drama, musical composition, poetry, prose, psychotherapy, science, and sculpture, demonstrating the fragility of creative trajectories, and the will and wrong turns required to bring vision to fruition.
I wanted to show work in varying stages of completion, to trace ideas from their first appearance to their eventual expression, following what the Anderson Center’s Executive Director Chris Burawa calls the “unconscious thread”. Burawa chose the title for this exhibit, “There Is A Ladder” from a line in the famous 1973 Adrienne Rich poem, “Diving Into The Wreck” …. in which ‘diving’ deepens into revelation.
EXHIBITORS / VISIONARIES
1. Quilomene Bar ARCHEOLOGIST
2. Robert Hedin POET
3. AP Anderson SCIENTIST
4. Louise Erdrich WRITER
5. Rosemary Moore PLAYWRIGHT
6. Scott King POET & NATURALIST
7. Wayne Horvitz MUSICIAN/ COMPOSER
8. Fred Hagstrom VISUAL ARTIST / BOOK ARTIST / PRINTMAKER
9. Gaylord Schanilec VISUAL ARTIST / BOOK ARTIST / PRINTMAKER
10. Vesna Kittelson VISUAL ARTIST / SCULPTOR / CURATOR
11. Suzette Clough VISUAL ARTIST / PSYCHOTHERAPIST
12. Diane Katsiaficas VISUAL ARTIST
13. Mary Griep VISUAL ARTIST
14. Kevin Kling PLAYWRIGHT
15. Molly Reichert ARCHITECT
16. Cate Whittemore /curator VISUAL ARTIST
17. Phil Docken FILM MAKER